Cisco Application Networking Manager (ANM) 5.1 and later include application template functionality. ANM application templates allow ANM users to quickly provision new Cisco Application Control Engine (ACE) configurations, for vendor supplied or custom in-house applications. An ANM application template is an XML definition file, which contains the necessary configuration for an application with place holders for variable entries. The variables in the application template are shown as prompts to the user on the ANM GUI, and the user supplied values will be inserted into the application template during the provisioning process. By using application templates, deployment time is drastically reduced by eliminating all CLI input, and requiring only a few input fields to be completed by an ANM user during application deployment.
Two kinds of application templates are available for use with ANM:
· System templates are created by Cisco and are included in ANM. System templates typically support popular applications including Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft SharePoint. Although system templates are created by Cisco, you can edit a system template if necessary.
· User-defined templates are created by Cisco ANM users. They are imported into ANM, and typically support custom applications, or any applications for which Cisco has not yet created a system template. User-defined templates are not validated by Cisco, however they can be rated and reviewed by other ANM users on Cisco Developer Network.
Application template files follow a specific schema that is defined for and supported by ANM. All user templates must follow this schema to be successfully imported and provisioned.
This section of Cisco Developer Network provides the tools and resources necessary to create, modify, and use ANM application templates. The ANM product team welcomes all ANM users to participate in online discussions, and collaborate with other ANM application template users on Cisco Developer Network. Here’s a brief primer to help get the most out of this section of Cisco Developer Network:
Posting a User-Defined Application Template Definition
- Click the “Post New Thread” button on the ANM Application Template page of Cisco Developer Network
- Provide a name and description for the application template definition
- Attach the file to complete the process
Downloading an Application Template
- Browse the forum threads in the ANM Application Template section of Cisco Developer Network, and locate the application template definition to be downloaded
- Click on the file attachment in the thread to download the application template definition
- Refer to the ANM User Guide for importing and usage instructions
Providing Feedback on an Application Template
- Use any of the reply options in the thread for a specific application template definition