As many media applications become pervasive in an organization and more different devices and video, voice and data applications are used, new demands are placed on the network. It can be challenging to accommodate all application needs while reducing complexity, planning for capacity, assuring that your business critical applications (including voice and data) are not impacted and providing the best possible user experience.
A medianet is an end-to-end architecture for a network comprising advanced, intelligent technologies and devices in a platform optimized for the delivery of rich-media experiences. In essence it is a set of capabilities available in Cisco router, switches and endpoints to help IT deploy, manage, troubleshoot and optimize business and collaboration applications of all types (video, voice and data!)
We currently have 3 medianet CDN programs described below. Join us into this exciting journey and create applications to help our customers deploy, manage, monitor, troubleshoot and optimize their video, voice and data applications.
- Medianet Web Site: www.cisco.com/go/medianet (medianet basics)
- Medianet Knowledge Base: www.cisco.com/go/medianetkb (all you need to know to design deploy and troubleshoot medianet capabilities)
- Medianet blogs: blogs.cisco.com/tag/medianet (keep up to date of medianet news and what the medianet team is up to)
Medianet Systems Management
Help our customers leverage medianet features in their networks to monitor the performance, validate network configurations and accelerate troubleshooting so they can deploy and manage their video, voice and data with more confidence and lower costs.
The Systems Management program allows you to create and enhance your workflows and reports to achieve all that leveraging the medianet media monitoring and media awareness features:
- Performance Monitor: provides performance statistics (packet loss, jitter, etc.) based on analysis of user traffic and allows creating application class-specific threshold crossing alerts
- Mediatrace: helps network operators understand the status and health of a network path by collecting critical information hop by hop, on specific media streams as they traverse the network
- IPSLA Video Operations (traffic simulation): helps network operators validate whether a network is ready for video and rich-media applications by stressing the network path with realistic, application-specific media streams
- Flow Metadata: Manages and transfers application context attributes to the network allowing your tools to expose application content details for richer reporting.
Media Services Proxy
One of the innovations of medianet is the ability of the network to become application and rich-media context aware end to end. The network works together with the video endpoints and applications for optimal quality of experience for end-users and improved visibility for IT.
One of the means to achieve this is through Media Services Proxy (MSP) which is a feature in our routers and switches. MSP uses light weight, deep-packet inspection techniques to snoop standards-based signaling protocols. Media Services Proxy produces flow metadata attributes that can be shared among network nodes.
MSP supports standard protocols such as SIP, H.323, multicast Domain Name System (mDNS), SDP, and RTSP to perform discovery and information element extraction.
If you are an endpoint manufacturer or a collaboration or video application vendor, please explore the Media Services Proxy CDN program to learn more about the standards supported and the MSP IVT Program.
Media Services Interface (MSI) Management
Media Services Interface (MSI) is a software component that is embedded in video endpoints and collaboration applications. The MSI software developer's kit provides a set of APIs enabling applications to use medianet network services like autoconfiguration and media monitoring.
MSI provides a REST-based API to manage endpoints that support MSI. The MSI Management CDN Program enables you to use this API to add or enhance the features of your application management solutions.
The REST-based API lets you query for flow related information, monitor performance and initiate a mediatrace in endpoints and applications that have MSI.
If you make and sell management solutions or services for rich media endpoints & applications, explore the MSI management CDN program.