Cisco's embedded technology for Smart Grid endpoints may include one or more of:
- Embedded OS and application programming environment for a supported embedded microcontroller
- Application Programming Interface (API) for IP network communications
- Network interface software stack
- Network interface drivers for supported MAC/PHY
- Software Development Kit (SDK) and documentation
- Standardization at all levels to ensure interoperability and reduce technology risk for customers as well as partners
- Applicable to a wide variety of Smart Grid endpoints
- Enables common application layer services over various wired and wireless communication technologies
Cisco's endpoint IP-enablement technology consists of an embedded OS, IP networking stack, networking device drivers, and an application API. The partner is responsible for the underlying system hardware design, the application software (e.g. sensor data collection) and the physical layer interfaces (e.g. sensor/actuator devices, RF or PLC communications, etc.). The following diagram illustrates the protocol layering.
The following diagram illustrates Cisco's endpoint IP-enablement technology architecture in a conceptual example.