What is the WebEx Social Application?
Cisco WebEx Social (formerly Cisco Quad) is an enterprise collaboration platform that combines the power of social networking, real-time communications, and content creation in a single, personalized user experience. It is interoperable and integrates with unified communications, email, and content management systems. Features include:
- Unified Post – to create and share content and receive feedback with ability to set permissions for commenting, editing, or forwarding.
- Bi-Directional Email Integration – to create a post from an email client, or reply to one; and to receive email notifications of updates, comments, and newly shared posts.
- Unified Communications Integration – to add real-time communications via video, voice, IM, and WebEx web conferencing.
- Enterprise Social Networking - to find experts, join discussions, and source "tribal" knowledge, where features include profiles, dynamic communities, search, suggestions, and tagging.
- Personalized User Experience – to customize WebEx Social to match personal needs and preferences, with watch lists and filtered activity streams to prioritize information flow.
- Microsoft Office Integration – to update and publish documents to WebEx Social directly from Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and to track versions and co-author documents. To participate in WebEx Social conversations while working in Microsoft Office.
- Content Management Integration – to make content stored in document repositories more actionable so breaking down information silo barriers, through built-in Microsoft SharePoint and EMC Documentum integration.
- Native Mobile Support – to maintain connections to colleagues, content, and applications while traveling or working remotely where WebEx Social offers a consistent, optimized experience across tablets and mobile devices.
What are the WebEx Social Tools?
These are the tools developers can use to integrate collaboration capabilities with social networking, real-time communications, and content creation features of the Cisco WebEx Social application, into their own solutions.
The WebEx Social API is a Representational State Transfer (REST)-based set of operations that provide secure access and management of resources and entities. The API enables developers to retrieve, create, update, and delete WebEx Social resources.
Search, filtering and sorting of items is also made easy with the WebEx Social API.
What can be done with the WebEx Social API Operations?
WebEx Social API operations are used to introduce and manage the following collaboration, social networking, real-time communications, and content creation actions and activities:
- API consumer – operations for managing WebEx Social API consumers
- Community – operations for obtaining information about WebEx Social communities and performing various actions with communities
- File – operations for retrieving, updating, and deleting text, audio, and video files on the WebEx Social server
- Membership request – operations for retrieving and updating requests for community membership
- Post – operations for obtaining information about posts and perform various actions with posts
- User – operations for obtaining information about users and performing various operations for WebEx Social users
What technologies are involved?
The API can be used to build mobile, desktop, or web applications, and;
- All of the WebEx Social API operations are REST Web Services that return json or xml
- The WebEx Social UI can be extended by creating custom OpenSocial gadgets.
- The Cisco WebEx Social API supports these protocols for authorization, authentication, and security:
- OAuth authentication from API consumers
- XAuth authentication for mobile