Cisco Unified Application Environment - Overview
Why Use the Cisco Unified Application Environment?
Widespread adoption of IP communications has generated strong demand for applications that can leverage converged voice, video and data networks to transform business processes. At the same time, responsibility for telephony is moving into the corporate data center.
Developers are increasingly being asked to create applications that must incorporate voice and video capabilities. Most enterprise and web application developers have little to no experience with arcane telephony protocols, media processing, and the other technologies that accompany voice and video development. As a result, converged telephony and data application development projects require too much time and money, yield functionally limited applications, and are prone to failure.
The Cisco Unified Application Environment allows developers with no telephony development experience to rapidly, easily, and successfully build feature-rich converged voice, video, and data applications.
The environment provides a variety of tools to developers that allow them to integrate Unified Communications into existing services. The environment also provides a set of tools drag-and-drop techniques to visually construct applications using simple communications business logic.
Developers can focus on what they want to do rather than spending all their time trying to figure out how to do it. Using this approach, development time for new applications is dramatically reduced to days or weeks instead of months.
Benefits of the Cisco Unified Application Environment
- Abstracts the complexity and differences in protocols and Unified Communications product versions
- Separates the application logic from core call routing to protect the Unified Communications infrastructure from applications
- Protects applications from each other
- Delivers a wide variety of easy-to-use media processing functions, such as IVR, conferencing, transcoding, TTS, speech recognition and speaker verification
- Offers a standardized and centralized way to manage all of an organization's Unified Communications applications
The bottom line is that the Cisco Unified Application Environment reduces the time and cost required to develop applications, increases the richness and breadth of features offered by applications, and improves the manageability of these applications. To learn more about the products that comprise the Cisco Unified Application Environment, please use the following links.
- Cisco Unified Application Designer
- Cisco Unified Application Server
- Cisco Unified Media Engine