Media Services Interface (MSI) is a software component that is embedded in video endpoints and collaboration applications. The MSI software developer's kit provides a set of APIs enabling applications to use medianet network services like autoconfiguration and media monitoring.
MSI ties the network to user devices and applications to enable for a true end-to-end architecture called Cisco Medianet.
The Media Services Interface provides a robust REST API based management interface. This allows an application or network management system to deliver support for a broad category of operations:
- Session visibility & awareness: Query flows from the endpoint
- Operational Monitoring: Turn performance monitoring on or off on flows for flows of interest
- Accelerated Troubleshooting: Initiate mediatraces and use the results to pin-point the cause of the poor media quality
The MSI and Medianet have been built on an open architecture and support standards so as to make integrating with MSI as easy as possible. A big benefit to application or network management solution vendors, other than the advanced monitoring & troubleshooting capabilities, is the fact that the MSI is a "support once, leverage many times" solution. Supporting the MSI interface once enables NMSes to support different classes of Cisco endpoints and also starting in the near term 3rd party endpoints which also integrate the MSI.
MSI-embedded endpoints and applications are more tightly integrated with the network and you're your organization:
- Reduce costs of deploying and managing video endpoints
- Quickly troubleshoot issues and cut operational costs
- Detect network issues while they occur for immediate remediation and improved user experience
- Enable the network to accurately apply network services to enhance user experience
For IT administrators:
IT administrators have always desired a consistent management interface and a single stop solution to manage a seemingly ever-growing variety of rich media endpoints and applications.
The MSI's REST API makes possible solutions and products that effectively address this need.
For application and network management solution vendors:
Other than the advanced monitoring & troubleshooting capabilities that the MSI facilitates, the fact that the MSI is a "support once, leverage many times" solution is a huge benefit. Supporting the MSI interface once enables NMSes to support different classes of Cisco endpoints and also starting in the near term, 3rd party endpoints which also integrate the MSI.